VICTORIA, BC, Sept. 10, 2020 /CNW/ – The safety of Canada’s boulevard users is a precedence for federal, provincial, and territorial governments, and that begins with the accurate transportation of our faculty children.
Right this moment time, the Minister of Transport, the Honourable Marc Garneau, along with both B.C. Minister of Training, the Honourable Make a choice Fleming, and B.C. Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure, the Honourable Claire Trevena, collectively presented the starting up of a pilot conducting fascinating the spend of seatbelts in faculty buses in two faculty districts in British Columbia.
The first section begins straight away in the Fraser-Cascade faculty district. A 2nd section is anticipated to declare in January 2021 in the college district of Nanaimo–Ladysmith.
The pilot conducting entails a tiny need of present faculty buses, equipped with three-point seatbelts that declare the most modern federal safety requirements.
College buses are the most salvage formulation to pass an estimated 2.2 million Canadian children to faculty. In step with a present fable of the Job Force on College Bus Security, Strengthening College Bus Security in Canada, seatbelts are being examined as a potential formulation to extra reinforce safety.
The necessity for pilots is essentially essentially based on the findings of the Job Force on College Bus Security, a neighborhood constructed from federal / provincial / territorial representatives, and a range of faculty bus safety stakeholders. There are need of operational concerns relative to seatbelt spend, akin to honest seatbelt adjustment and children transferring spherical of their seats or unbuckling.
These pilot initiatives might possibly presumably lend a hand glean files needed for any future utility of the spend of seat belts, if needed.
The Fraser-Cascade pilot conducting is the first of its sort in Canada, and can also simply aloof lend a hand validate the Job Force’s Guidelines for the Spend of Seatbelts on College Buses.
“I might possibly presumably well love to commend the Government of British Columbia and the college districts eager for their management in joining with the Government of Canada to conduct this pilot conducting fascinating seatbelts on faculty buses. College buses are the most salvage formulation to pass children to and from faculty, but we’re persistently taking a watch at methods to develop them even safer. This pilot is a in reality indispensable step in this route.”
– Minister of Transport, the Honourable Marc Garneau
“We’re fully cheerful to partner in a student safety pilot conducting that can present recent faculty buses equipped with seat belts and various safety aspects to Nanaimo–Ladysmith and Fraser-Cascade faculty districts,” acknowledged Make a choice Fleming, Minister of Training. “I look forward to the extra safety files that shall be won from this pilot program.”
– Minister of Training, the Honourable Make a choice Fleming
Government of British Columbia
- Daily, Canadian children commute to and from faculty on 51,670 faculty buses.
- College buses non-public a unbelievable safety file in Canada, owing largely to the intensive suite of protecting safety aspects constructed into the bus (e.g. high roof crush requirements, window retention, and compartmentalization – padded, high-backed seats, spaced closely together).
- In January 2019, the federal, provincial, territorial Council of Ministers Guilty for Transportation and Motorway Security established a various Job Force to fastidiously specialize in about the enlighten of faculty bus safety, both inner and exterior the bus, with an emphasis on seatbelts.
- In February 2020, the Job Force published its fable on Strengthening College Bus Security in Canada.
- Represent: Strengthening College Bus Security in Canada
- College Bus Security
- Council of Ministers Guilty for Transportation and Motorway Security
- Rules Amending the Motor Automobile Security Rules (Bus Seat Belts and Diversified Amendments)
This news commence can also very neatly be made available in alternative formats for persons living with visual disabilities.
SOURCE Transport Canada
For extra files: Livia Belcea, Press Secretary, Space of job of the Honourable Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport, Ottawa, 613-314-0963, [email protected]; Media Relations: Transport Canada, Ottawa, 613-993-0055, [email protected]; Meribeth Burton, Communications Supervisor, Ministry of Training, Government Communications & Public Engagement, 236-478-1168 (work), 250-818-0293 (cellular), [email protected]